Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stop Hitting Yourself!

I often feel as if the universe is hitting me repeatedly in the head, with every job loss, every breakup, and every fraud conviction. I am sure you feel the same way sometimes.

What I realized, however, is that the truth is much more surprising. The Universe is like a bully who repeatedly pummels me with my own hand and says, "Why are you hitting yourself? Stop hitting yourself."

However, when I turn to confront my tormentor, I see no one there. Just my own hand, beating myself bloody. And then I laugh.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. The worst is when the same bully says, "okay, let your hand go limp." And you think he's going to show you something funny and he hits you with it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate when my hand falls asleep on me ;) just kidding...great metaphor jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just beating my 8 year old nephew with his own hands over the weekend and saying, "Why are you hitting yourself?!" I LOVE it when the Universe and I are in unison.

    BTW, love the sock-in-the puss-pic above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artemis, that is what happens when you fall in love.

    ReplyDelete